Juniors interview in preparation for college

The Class of 2025 spends the day interviewing with various colleges to prepare them for the college admissions process.
Isabella Cooper ‘25 thanks the Thomas Jefferson representative for his time.
Tu Le
Juniors chat with representatives from various colleges, exchanging information and learning about the universities.

The Mount held its annual Junior Interview Day last Thursday, April 11, for the Class of 2025. Students were given the opportunity to meet with three different colleges in a 15 minute sit-down interview and practice their skills in front of college representatives. Colleges from all over the East Coast made their way to the gymnasium prepared to talk to possible future scholars.

Although the interviews do not aid in the admissions process at all and are purely for practice, the students in the junior class had many positive things to say about the experience.

Julia Farren ‘25 said, “I thought it was a really great experience that prepared me for what is to come, whether I’m being interviewed for college or a job.”

Many juniors were skeptical at first, as the names of some colleges seemed unknown. But once they opened their minds up to something new, they were pleasantly shocked at the outcome.

Gracie McCarthy ‘25 says goodbye to the VCU admissions counselor after a successful mock interview.

“I was surprised by how interesting some of the schools I interviewed with were, as I had never heard of them prior to meeting,” said Mary Kate Polto ‘25.

The 15 minute interviews may have seemed short, but the insight juniors gained into the college admission process during their time with a representative was so valuable. Admissions counselors asked questions about family, extracurriculars, and schooling while also highlighting their programs and what they have to offer.

Joie Katsock ‘25 said it really helped to calm her nerves about future interviews.

Sofia Glantz ‘25 meets with the Muhlenberg representative in one of her three interviews of the day.

“I went into it not knowing what to expect but came out of my interviews feeling ready for college admissions.”

The Mount has been running this special day for juniors since 2016. Led by the guidance department, it benefits the students in more ways than one.

Ms. Potter from the Guidance Department shared her thoughts on Junior Interview Day.

“We do this for the students to give them exposure to interviews in general, whether that be for college or for, later in life, a job. It involves both the students’ soft skills (understanding how to answer/ask questions) but also gives the universities an opportunity to promote their institute.”