Categories:

Mount athletics surge to new heights 

Record-breaking seasons, undefeated streaks, and national rankings propel Mount Saint Joseph Academy’s athletic teams to standout victories in 2024.
Mount Field Hockey and Avery Lasky ´26 defeated Merion Mercy to earn their spot in the top 20 Pennsylvania Field Hockey High School Teams.

From an undefeated volleyball season to a nationally ranked field hockey team, Mount’s athletic programs are making waves.

Under new leadership, Mount Soccer looks to turn around their season, while Cross Country and Tennis push toward repeat AACA championships.

“This season is the best we’ve had in years,” says Junior Jenna Miller from the soccer team.

With Mount teams breaking records and surpassing expectations, it’s clear that 2024 is a historic year for the Academy’s athletes.

Soccer: 

Jenna Miller ‘25 dribbles up the field as Mount Soccer looks to steal an early season win from Pope John Paul High School.

Looking to turn around the academy’s soccer program, new head Coach Nick Bellizzie and his players are eager to start their season off strong. Starting fresh with a tough schedule, the girls work to put up a tough battle in their third game against Pope John Paul High School to boost their record and PIAA ranking.

“This season is definitely the best so far out of the three years I have been a part of Moccer, thanks to the great coaching staff and all of the amazing players that have worked so hard,” Jenna Miller ‘25 said.

Volleyball:

Mount Volleyball celebrates their victory after beating school rival, Gwynedd Mercy, twice this season.

Undefeated in the AACA, for the first time in many years, Mount Volleyball has beaten big opponents and rivals, Villa Maria and Gwynedd Mercy not once but twice this season to keep their winning streak alive.

“We overcame our beginning of the season slump, and now we are undefeated in our league. With some of our big games like Gwynedd, our team has become better than ever!” Captain, Lauren Montgomery ’25, said,

Field Hockey:

After beating Merion Mercy, Mount Field Hockey currently stands as the 16th best High School Field Hockey team in the country. Coach Kyra along with the team set high expectations for themselves this year and are ready to raise them even higher.

¨After playing our first few games of the season and beating Merion we realized that our team was truly special this year. Now that the rankings came out and we are 16th in the country and 10th in the state we have higher goals for ourselves and are excited to see what happens for us in the postseason,” Avery Lasky ‘26 said.

Cross-Country:

Mount Cross Country gets ready for their race against Gwynedd and Villa by doing their signature cheer.

The team is eager to defend their title as AACA cross country champions for the second year in a row. Their win against Gwynedd and Villa put them one step closer to another victory. Head coaches Kitty and Jim McClernand push the girls with tough workouts to ensure they do the best performance possible at every race.

Tennis:

Savana Paris ‘26 works hard in her doubles tennis match against Gwynedd.

The Mount tennis team is almost unstoppable this season. They played a tough match schedule this year but managed to win AACA champs for the 10th year in a row!

Tennis captain Sophie Householder ‘25 has some great words to say about the Mount tennis program: “Tennis season went amazing! We got our 10 PEAT this year and are still undefeated in our league. Congratulations to our girls, their dedication, and the amazing energy they bring to every match!”

Golf: 

Jewel Schaffer ‘25 is focused while preparing to swing in her golf match.

The Mount golf team is having a remarkable season. After winning AACA champs, Captain Jewel Schaffer ‘25 said, “The golf season is going well! We just won AACAs for the 24th year in a row and have only lost one match. Districts are coming up next week.