The student-generated news site of Mount Saint Joseph Academy

The Campanile

The Campanile

The Campanile

Prep prom dates cause conflicts
Prep prom dates cause conflicts
Kate Tannenbaum, Features Editor • April 25, 2024

Prom is this Friday night, and it is surely going to be a night to remember for the senior class. However, many Mounties have been upset about...

Meet the faces behind msja2024
Meet the faces behind "msja2024"
Maura Fecak, Senior Lead Editor • April 25, 2024

If you’re a Mount community member who uses Instagram, chances are you’re familiar with the account “msja2024”. The account documents...

pH-ake: the truth about pH makeup
pH-ake: the truth about pH makeup
Gianna Piroso, Co-Editor-in-Chief • April 24, 2024

I vividly remember the first time I bought my own makeup products at the young age of eight years old. I had saved up my birthday money and...

Recent Comments

Seniors advocate for lost privileges

In this unsigned editorial, The Campanile staff and leadership petition the administration to reinstate some senior privilege of past years.
Looking+forward+to+experiencing+the+benefits+of+being+a+senior+is+a+long-standing+tradition+for+many+Mounties.+
Alex Staas
Looking forward to experiencing the benefits of being a senior is a long-standing tradition for many Mounties.

Despite the host of stresses and concerns that comes with the imminence of college, students look forward to their senior year of high school as the home stretch after three years of hard work and commitment to academics. Being the oldest and most experienced in the building earns seniors respect, trust and, in the opinion of The Campanile, certain advantages over the lowerclassmen.

Senior privilege is a common practice at high schools nationwide, serving not only as a reward for the dedication and achievements of the senior class but as incentive and signal to lower classmen. The Mount senior class of ‘24, however, has found that their long climb to the top has resulted in quite an underwhelming reward.

In their time as underclassmen, the senior class was surrounded by senior privilege. Even in the midst of COVID-19, the then-freshman class of ‘24 saw their senior classmates experience the coveted senior privilege of being able to arrive late to a first-block study hall. Other previous senior privileges include various sponsored tailgates, senior sunset, senior movie night, and senior superlatives – none of which the current seniors have experienced during their senior year.

Senior-exclusive advantages not only benefit seniors but also the school as a whole. The relationship between freshman and senior Mounties has always been treasured – it is the sisterhood, a sense of community and belonging that cultivates trust and respect. Part of that respect, we believe, should manifest itself as senior privilege.

Having survived the disney trip and the infamous Canterbury Tales essay, seniors have unique insight, wisdom, and experience that should be acknowledged. On the flip side, senior privilege shows lowerclassmen all they have to look forward to and solidifies the respect they should have for and show to their senior classmates.

These advantages need not be groundbreaking. A staggered dismissal, for example, that begins with the release of the seniors, is a small, achievable change that benefits the entire school. With so many drivers released at once, it is often a race to exit the parking lot which can be hectic and sometimes dangerous. Seniors being dismissed before the other students would make parking lot traffic calmer, safer, and much more fluid.

Another privilege could be senior-exclusive dress down days. Dress down days usually only occur on special instances; however, some of these could be reserved for seniors. Fundraisers and themes would still be respected, and both Mount spirit and respect for seniors would be greatly reinforced.

Finally, the privilege of arriving late to school with first block study hall could and should be easily reinstated.

Establishing earned privileges for seniors would acknowledge senior achievement, strengthen respect between upper- and lowerclassmen, and incentivize the younger students to emulate the dedication and hard work of their older classmates. This privilege can be easily exhibited in advantages such as staggered dismissal times, senior-exclusive dress down days and first block late arrivals. With these senior privileges, Mount will foster a strong community led by mature and responsible seniors who, through leadership by example, encourage the underclassmen to strive for greatness.