The student-generated news site of Mount Saint Joseph Academy

The Campanile

The Campanile

The Campanile

Kaelyn McFadden ‘25 photographs Sofia Glantz ‘25 choosing between the 3 Target Exclusive vinyls
Old Habits Die Screaming
Sofia Glantz, Staff Writer • April 17, 2024

Every time I have logged on to Twitter over the past month, I have felt angry, because every single time, I have seen a new Taylor Swift vinyl,...

Isabella Cooper ‘25 thanks the Thomas Jefferson representative for his time.
Juniors interview in preparation for college
Sienna Noh, Staff Writer • April 16, 2024

The Mount held its annual Junior Interview Day last Thursday, April 11, for the Class of 2025. Students were given the opportunity to meet...

From left to right: Mr. Guy Petrucci, Tristan Fenimore and Sister Charlene looking at new windows in hallway that coincide with all of the large windows throughout Mount.
Connecting corridor unites building
Annie Gleba, Co-Editor in Chief • April 12, 2024

Some much anticipated construction is almost complete at the Mount. This addition will act as a connecting corridor and collaborative space which...

Yonely Lopez, everyones favorite maintenance colleague
Home Economics Tips
March 13, 2024
Recent Comments

Seniors advocate for lost privileges

In this unsigned editorial, The Campanile staff and leadership petition the administration to reinstate some senior privilege of past years.
Looking+forward+to+experiencing+the+benefits+of+being+a+senior+is+a+long-standing+tradition+for+many+Mounties.+
Alex Staas
Looking forward to experiencing the benefits of being a senior is a long-standing tradition for many Mounties.

Despite the host of stresses and concerns that comes with the imminence of college, students look forward to their senior year of high school as the home stretch after three years of hard work and commitment to academics. Being the oldest and most experienced in the building earns seniors respect, trust and, in the opinion of The Campanile, certain advantages over the lowerclassmen.

Senior privilege is a common practice at high schools nationwide, serving not only as a reward for the dedication and achievements of the senior class but as incentive and signal to lower classmen. The Mount senior class of ‘24, however, has found that their long climb to the top has resulted in quite an underwhelming reward.

In their time as underclassmen, the senior class was surrounded by senior privilege. Even in the midst of COVID-19, the then-freshman class of ‘24 saw their senior classmates experience the coveted senior privilege of being able to arrive late to a first-block study hall. Other previous senior privileges include various sponsored tailgates, senior sunset, senior movie night, and senior superlatives – none of which the current seniors have experienced during their senior year.

Senior-exclusive advantages not only benefit seniors but also the school as a whole. The relationship between freshman and senior Mounties has always been treasured – it is the sisterhood, a sense of community and belonging that cultivates trust and respect. Part of that respect, we believe, should manifest itself as senior privilege.

Having survived the disney trip and the infamous Canterbury Tales essay, seniors have unique insight, wisdom, and experience that should be acknowledged. On the flip side, senior privilege shows lowerclassmen all they have to look forward to and solidifies the respect they should have for and show to their senior classmates.

These advantages need not be groundbreaking. A staggered dismissal, for example, that begins with the release of the seniors, is a small, achievable change that benefits the entire school. With so many drivers released at once, it is often a race to exit the parking lot which can be hectic and sometimes dangerous. Seniors being dismissed before the other students would make parking lot traffic calmer, safer, and much more fluid.

Another privilege could be senior-exclusive dress down days. Dress down days usually only occur on special instances; however, some of these could be reserved for seniors. Fundraisers and themes would still be respected, and both Mount spirit and respect for seniors would be greatly reinforced.

Finally, the privilege of arriving late to school with first block study hall could and should be easily reinstated.

Establishing earned privileges for seniors would acknowledge senior achievement, strengthen respect between upper- and lowerclassmen, and incentivize the younger students to emulate the dedication and hard work of their older classmates. This privilege can be easily exhibited in advantages such as staggered dismissal times, senior-exclusive dress down days and first block late arrivals. With these senior privileges, Mount will foster a strong community led by mature and responsible seniors who, through leadership by example, encourage the underclassmen to strive for greatness.