The student-generated news site of Mount Saint Joseph Academy

The Campanile

The Campanile

The Campanile

Prep prom dates cause conflicts
Prep prom dates cause conflicts
Kate Tannenbaum, Features Editor • April 25, 2024

Prom is this Friday night, and it is surely going to be a night to remember for the senior class. However, many Mounties have been upset about...

Meet the faces behind msja2024
Meet the faces behind "msja2024"
Maura Fecak, Senior Lead Editor • April 25, 2024

If you’re a Mount community member who uses Instagram, chances are you’re familiar with the account “msja2024”. The account documents...

pH-ake: the truth about pH makeup
pH-ake: the truth about pH makeup
Gianna Piroso, Co-Editor-in-Chief • April 24, 2024

I vividly remember the first time I bought my own makeup products at the young age of eight years old. I had saved up my birthday money and...

Recent Comments

Bookmarked!: March MYTHOLOGY 2024

This month’s theme was mythology, with a cover designed by our very own Elodie Breslin!
Our book cover this month is designed by our very own Elodie Breslin!

This month we focused on mythology, a popular genre of reading for students! We read Lore by Alexandra Bracken, a modern interpretation of Greek mythology and how it would work in the present with a Hunger Games twist. The Goodreads summary is below…

Goodreads Choice Award

Nominee for Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction (2021)

From the #1 New York Times best-selling author of The Darkest Minds comes a sweepingly ambitious, high-octane tale of power, destiny, love and redemption.

Every seven years, the Agon begins. As punishment for a past rebellion, nine Greek gods are forced to walk the earth as mortals, hunted by the descendants of ancient bloodlines, all eager to kill a god and seize their divine power and immortality.
Long ago, Lore Perseous fled that brutal world in the wake of her family’s sadistic murder by a rival line, turning her back on the hunt’s promises of eternal glory. For years she’s pushed away any thought of revenge against the man–now a god–responsible for their deaths.

Yet as the next hunt dawns over New York City, two participants seek out her help: Castor, a childhood friend of Lore believed long dead, and a gravely wounded Athena, among the last of the original gods.

The goddess offers an alliance against their mutual enemy and, at last, a way for Lore to leave the Agon behind forever. But Lore’s decision to bind her fate to Athena’s and rejoin the hunt will come at a deadly cost–and still may not be enough to stop the rise of a new god with the power to bring humanity to its knees.

With this book, our readers sent in their reviews. The reactions were overall positive, and we recommend Lore to any and all mythology lovers and those who want an exciting, fast-paced book with real-life lore. The reviews are below…

3.75/5

Lore by Alexandra Bracken is a fascinating combination of Greek mythology and the Hunger Games that follows the “Agon”, a violent battle between gods that occurs every seven years in which nine Greek gods temporarily become mortals and fight to maintain their power and immortality. I enjoyed this book for its intriguing action scenes, its modern depiction of Greek mythology, and its many twists and turns that are unexpected and always exciting. Although this book deals with difficult topics that can be uncomfortable to read, it is ultimately an interesting and worthwhile read.

— Caitlin Biddle, ‘24

4.5/5

Lore by Alexandra Bracken deals with a modern retelling of myths in a way that feels fresh, new, and innovative. Instead of focusing on one story, Bracken mixes and matches to create a power hierarchy that feels realistic and plays out in interesting ways throughout the book. The novel is exciting and deals with important issues of love, friendship, family, and how far one will go for power. Be warned, this book does deal with graphic violence and the like, but it adds to the story in a way that doesn’t feel overextended. I found the characters to be likable, and I appreciated the subtle undertone of romance that doesn’t overshadow the bigger picture. Overall, I give this book 4.5 stars out of 5; I usually never score 5/5, so Lore is high up on my list. I definitely recommend this book to those who grew up with Percy Jackson and are ready for the more adult version, those who are interested in mythology and its modern interpretations, and those who enjoyed The Song of Achilles and Ariadne, to name a few.

— Sine Thompson, ‘24