The student-generated news site of Mount Saint Joseph Academy

The Campanile

The Campanile

The Campanile

New Heights: The Top-Ranked Sports Podcast by Jason and Travis Kelce
Annie Gleba, Co-Editor in Chief • May 17, 2024

The podcast world has been taken by storm with "New Heights," hosted by NFL superstars and brothers Jason and Travis Kelce. Both Pro Bowlers,...

Ella Sennick chases puck across the ice during hockey match.
Ella Sennick Skates

Ella Sennick has turned her passion for hockey into a journey of inspiration and aspiration. Since transferring to Mount, Ella has found her...

Natalie Burrell ‘24, Lola Figueroa-Clark ‘24, Carly Oniskey ‘24, and Norah McGlynn ‘24 smile for a photo at Sandy Run Country Club.
Senior Prom Pre-Pics
Cydney Smith, Staff Writer • May 17, 2024

Challengers Review
Challengers Review
May 16, 2024

Lizzie Organsky ‘26: A source of pure joy

In this profile, we learn what Lizzie is doing in her spare time to help advance Type 1 Diabetes Research.
Lizzie+Organsky+%E2%80%9826+patiently+waiting+for+test+results.+
Erika Organsky
Lizzie Organsky ‘26 patiently waiting for test results.

At only eight years old, Lizzie’s life changed forever. She was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes seven years ago. When Lizzie’s parents noticed changes in her mood and abnormalities in her bodily functions, they decided to bring their concerns to her primary doctor. 

Today, Lizzie Organsky ‘26 is helping and supporting families who are living with Type 1 Diabetes. Through her volunteer work with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, she is helping to fund Type 1 Diabetes research. 

On that fateful day eight years ago, Lizzie and her parents were then sent straight to CHOP. After a few hours of anxiously waiting, Lizzie was taken into a room for testing. She was admitted to the hospital and soon after she was told that she has Type 1 Diabetes.

Lizzie Organsky ‘26 eagerly waiting to be discharged.

Throughout her hospital stay, she and her family learned how to handle her diagnosis and how her life would be different. 

Erika Organsky ‘96, Lizzie’s mom, says she had concerns about Lizzie’s “quality of life.” She also wanted Lizzie to “maintain the same life” that she had before her diagnosis, and she did just that. 

Oftentimes, when Lizzie’s blood sugar fluctuates, so does her mood. Despite this, Lizzie’s best friend Brooklyn Vargas ‘26 describes her as a fun-loving person and a great friend. Vargas said she, “trusts Lizzie with her life” which speaks volumes about her character and how Lizzie does not let her mood fluctuations affect her friendships. 

Another one of her best friends, Shannon Shields ‘26, says that even after her diagnosis, their friendship did not falter. According to Shannon, Lizzie still sings and dances as freely as she always has. 

“If anyone wants a video of Lizzie dancing in my kitchen or in the middle of the street at ten o’clock at night, I got you.” Shields said. 

A year into her diagnosis, Lizzie’s parents came across the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. They introduced this organization to Lizzie through the walk that the foundation hosts. Now seven years later, 

Erika Organsky ‘96, a Mount alum, is Lizzie’s mom and is currently running the page to fund the attempts in curing Type 1 Diabetes for kids like her, called Lizzie’s Lizards. 

Mrs. Organsky’s advice to other families with someone who has T1D in their family is to seek and reach out to other individuals and families who have experience with T1D and to support each other. 

Lizzie Organsky ‘26 and her family gather for a picture during the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation fundraiser walk.

If you would like to support Lizzie’s fundraising efforts this year please check out her sweatshirt. Or, learn more about Juvenile Diabetes at this site.

View Comments (1)