The student-generated news site of Mount Saint Joseph Academy

The Campanile

The Campanile

The Campanile

Kaelyn McFadden ‘25 photographs Sofia Glantz ‘25 choosing between the 3 Target Exclusive vinyls
Old Habits Die Screaming
Sofia Glantz, Staff Writer • April 17, 2024

Every time I have logged on to Twitter over the past month, I have felt angry, because every single time, I have seen a new Taylor Swift vinyl,...

Isabella Cooper ‘25 thanks the Thomas Jefferson representative for his time.
Juniors interview in preparation for college
Sienna Noh, Staff Writer • April 16, 2024

The Mount held its annual Junior Interview Day last Thursday, April 11, for the Class of 2025. Students were given the opportunity to meet...

From left to right: Mr. Guy Petrucci, Tristan Fenimore and Sister Charlene looking at new windows in hallway that coincide with all of the large windows throughout Mount.
Connecting corridor unites building
Annie Gleba, Co-Editor in Chief • April 12, 2024

Some much anticipated construction is almost complete at the Mount. This addition will act as a connecting corridor and collaborative space which...

Yonely Lopez, everyones favorite maintenance colleague
Home Economics Tips
March 13, 2024
Recent Comments

Lizzie Organsky ‘26: A source of pure joy

In this profile, we learn what Lizzie is doing in her spare time to help advance Type 1 Diabetes Research.
Lizzie+Organsky+%E2%80%9826+patiently+waiting+for+test+results.+
Erika Organsky
Lizzie Organsky ‘26 patiently waiting for test results.

At only eight years old, Lizzie’s life changed forever. She was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes seven years ago. When Lizzie’s parents noticed changes in her mood and abnormalities in her bodily functions, they decided to bring their concerns to her primary doctor. 

Today, Lizzie Organsky ‘26 is helping and supporting families who are living with Type 1 Diabetes. Through her volunteer work with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, she is helping to fund Type 1 Diabetes research. 

On that fateful day eight years ago, Lizzie and her parents were then sent straight to CHOP. After a few hours of anxiously waiting, Lizzie was taken into a room for testing. She was admitted to the hospital and soon after she was told that she has Type 1 Diabetes.

Lizzie Organsky ‘26 eagerly waiting to be discharged.

Throughout her hospital stay, she and her family learned how to handle her diagnosis and how her life would be different. 

Erika Organsky ‘96, Lizzie’s mom, says she had concerns about Lizzie’s “quality of life.” She also wanted Lizzie to “maintain the same life” that she had before her diagnosis, and she did just that. 

Oftentimes, when Lizzie’s blood sugar fluctuates, so does her mood. Despite this, Lizzie’s best friend Brooklyn Vargas ‘26 describes her as a fun-loving person and a great friend. Vargas said she, “trusts Lizzie with her life” which speaks volumes about her character and how Lizzie does not let her mood fluctuations affect her friendships. 

Another one of her best friends, Shannon Shields ‘26, says that even after her diagnosis, their friendship did not falter. According to Shannon, Lizzie still sings and dances as freely as she always has. 

“If anyone wants a video of Lizzie dancing in my kitchen or in the middle of the street at ten o’clock at night, I got you.” Shields said. 

A year into her diagnosis, Lizzie’s parents came across the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. They introduced this organization to Lizzie through the walk that the foundation hosts. Now seven years later, 

Erika Organsky ‘96, a Mount alum, is Lizzie’s mom and is currently running the page to fund the attempts in curing Type 1 Diabetes for kids like her, called Lizzie’s Lizards. 

Mrs. Organsky’s advice to other families with someone who has T1D in their family is to seek and reach out to other individuals and families who have experience with T1D and to support each other. 

Lizzie Organsky ‘26 and her family gather for a picture during the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation fundraiser walk.

If you would like to support Lizzie’s fundraising efforts this year please check out her sweatshirt. Or, learn more about Juvenile Diabetes at this site.

View Comments (1)