The student-generated news site of Mount Saint Joseph Academy

The Campanile

The Campanile

The Campanile

Prep prom dates cause conflicts
Prep prom dates cause conflicts
Kate Tannenbaum, Features Editor • April 25, 2024

Prom is this Friday night, and it is surely going to be a night to remember for the senior class. However, many Mounties have been upset about...

Meet the faces behind msja2024
Meet the faces behind "msja2024"
Maura Fecak, Senior Lead Editor • April 25, 2024

If you’re a Mount community member who uses Instagram, chances are you’re familiar with the account “msja2024”. The account documents...

pH-ake: the truth about pH makeup
pH-ake: the truth about pH makeup
Gianna Piroso, Co-Editor-in-Chief • April 24, 2024

I vividly remember the first time I bought my own makeup products at the young age of eight years old. I had saved up my birthday money and...

Recent Comments

Snow day saves students’ spirits.

After 751 days without snow, Mounties are overjoyed by a surprise day off.
The+Campanile%2C+which+is+a+symbol+of+Mount%E2%80%99s+unity+stands+tall+as+the+afternoon+sunlight+glistens+on+the+snow.+Multiple+students+were+seen+passing+under+The+Campanile+because+the+paths+were+free+of+ice.+
Mia Moss ‘25
The Campanile, which is a symbol of Mount’s unity stands tall as the afternoon sunlight glistens on the snow. Multiple students were seen passing under The Campanile because the paths were free of ice.

After many dry winters, snow days were starting to become just a myth. However, as of Tuesday, 1/16/24, many Mounties experienced their first high school snow day.

A statue outside the Sylvester Wing is covered with snow. Some students believe that the upcoming snow on Friday will lead to a zoom class day.

Students did not anticipate another day off in addition to no school on MLK day. However, students in Ms. Ochs’ Christian Morality class, Ramsey Tabor ’25, and Sofia Glantz ’25 stated that Ms. Ochs has been heavily manifesting for the extra day off.

Although the majority of Mounties stayed indoors and caught up on missed sleep, some adventured outdoors.

While outside sledding, Ella Kurek ’26 sprained her ankle, making her require crutches. Gigi Gaffney ’25 and Paige Carson ’25 went night sledding in Carson’s neighborhood, enjoying the winter weather.

Gaffney said, “I loved it and it totally brought out my inner child. It was also very creepy, but we both looked past that.”

“I actually did not want to go sledding at first, because I have a little bit of PTSD because the last time I went sledding, I hit this kid. And I didn’t want to do that again. So, instead I went sledding on a shorter hill where I could’ve hit a tree and injured myself. I did not hit a tree, I did not hit a kid, and nobody hit me. And I had fun,” said Sam Ramos ‘24.

A parking lot in Blue Bell at sunset on Tuesday, January 16 2024.

“I flavored a cup of snow with lemonade from Wawa that I got the previous day, and it was really good. Highly recommend. Wintertime delicacy. Famous in the Burrell household, but only to me because my parents don’t eat it,” Natalie Burrell ‘24 said about her snow day activities.

During the morning of 1/17/24, the Mount parking lot was a virtual ice rink. Many Mounties slipped on the ice or struggled to get across the concrete to school.

Annie Gleba ’24 said, “Riley Fitzpatrick ’24 grabbed onto her car but slid underneath it.” Luckily, no injuries were sustained.

Mount’s director of maintenance, Mr. Guy Petrucci stated,”We started yesterday removing the snow around 4:30 am. We worked through the day and removed all the snow and then the ice started coming, then the rain and the sleet. We were scrapping the sidewalks the best we could, but we can’t really scrape the parking lot. This morning we were out here at 6:00 putting out salt, melting the snow, and using ice scrapers.”

Some students believe that the upcoming snow on Friday may bring a virtual zoom day. Others anticipate another 2 hour-delay. Despite student theories and hopes, we can only anticipate what the weather will bring.

View Comments (1)